What is the National Forum?
The National Forum of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians is the Archdiocesan ministry responsible for liturgical music activities and the development, support, and recognition of church musicians. Chartered in 1976 as an official auxiliary of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the National Forum serves as the liaison among local church musicians, metropolis church music federations, and the Archdiocese. It also serves as the gathering place for church musicians to discuss issues related to liturgical music and to formulate needed responses.
The National Forum has four major areas of focus:
- Support for CHOIRS, providing resources and activities to improve the quality of choirs and the availability of choral music in the church
- Support for CHANTERS and the preservation of BYZANTINE CHANT
- Support for YOUTH CHURCH MUSIC PROGRAMS, including hymnology and junior choirs
- Support for CLERGY, including parish music ministries, and support for clergy
On October 4, 2015, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America celebrated NATIONAL CHURCH MUSIC SUNDAY!
The National Forum mailed custom-designed posters to each parish to be displayed in honor of our choir members and psaltai. This year's poster featured David, the Prophet and King, who wrote the Psalms that are used extensively during our divine services.
Also included in the mailing were materials and ideas to honor your church musicians!
2015 National Forum Annual Meeting
took place in Indianapolis, Indiana from July 9 to 11, 2015
Youth Music Network
The 2016 Liturgical Guidebook will soon be available at the Department of Religious Education's catalog store!
Please note that the Orthodox Marketplace online web store and the Department of Religious Education's catalog store are in the process of merging operations. During the transition, the Orthodox Marketplace website will suspend sales functionality of the site. The 2016 Liturgical Guidebook should be available in February or March, 2016. You can call DRE directly at 1-800-566-1088.
You can also order the Guidebook through the mail. 2015 Liturgical Guidebook Mail-in Order Form
CHRIST IS RISEN Resources
- Have you submitted your 2015 National Forum Stewardship yet?
- Check out and LIKE our National Forum and Youth Music Facebook Pages
Recent Page Updates